Chili is one of those nostalgic recipes that I love coming back to! My mom would make it often, and I remember looking forward to it- especially on those cold Colorado winter evenings after a long day. My favorite way to eat it was (and still is) to get a good couple spoonfuls of sour cream (now I use greek yogurt) to make it creamy, top it off with some cheddar cheese, and eat it using tortilla chips instead of a spoon. Mmmm!!!
I was literally talking to my husband just the other day about eating as a teenager- I only eat a fraction now of what I ate back then. I was a pretty active high schooler though, especially during the track season. I could put down so much food!! Ha and I never gained any weight, so that was cool. I definitely took that for granted.
Since my husband and I have been focusing on making healthier options, we’ve loved having this Turkey chili! You can, of course, replace the ground turkey with ground beef (we use whatever is on hand), and luckily, half the ingredients can be kept for months in your pantry or spice cabinet.
If you are someone who struggles to feel satisfied when you are eating healthy, you aren’t alone! This Turkey Chili recipe is something that my husband and I use a lot, and it always leaves us feeling satisfied after dinner! And to top it all off, it is incredibly simple.
And as far as the spices go, just have fun with the spices! If you are worried about it, try to add mostly chili powder (don’t be afraid to be generous with the spices!), some cayenne to add a kick, and a little bit of cumin to add some depth to the taste.
When we find ground turkey (or beef) on sale, we will get a little extra and pop it in the freezer to have on hand whenever we want to use it. The green bell peppers and onions tend to last a while, so we will have those on hand pretty often. And, the rest of the ingredients can be kept in your pantry! It is an easy recipe to pop together really quickly, especially when you are busy!
Turkey Chili Recipe
- 21 oz. ground turkey, browned (or ground beef)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 c tomato sauce
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1 cup black beans
- Spices: garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper
- Opt: cheese, sour cream/greek yogurt, salsa
- Cook the ground turkey in a pot until browned. Once done, set aside in a bowl for later.
- In that same pot, saute the onions until almost translucent. Then add the green bell pepper and saute until slightly softened.
- Add the ground turkey back into the pot. Mix in the tomato sauce, beans, and spices, and add about a cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve immediately. Top with the various optional toppings.